Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vienna First Impressions

Got out of the plane and took my first steps into Austria alongside Kristen and Andrew and immediately got on a bus.

I was very tired and ready to sleep anywhere that would have me thankfully the Mcdonalds cafe in the airport complied as I slumped over in the seat, unfortunately sleep refused to come as I was paranoid of pickpockets.

After another hour of waiting for the last member of our group to arrive we all proceeded to head to our cars that would convey us into Vienna, turns out the airport is miles (or should I say kilometers) outside of Vienna...go figure.

After our amazingly sweaty car driver loaded our luggage we all stared in awe as we drove into Vienna passing an assortment of Vans, Mini Coopers, B.M.W.'s and one really awesome Charger that looked like it ate smaller cars for fuel, even in Austria there is that one guy who has to be the one to drive the car with the loudest engine possible.

We passed so many different landmarks that it was hard to take it all in and before I knew it we had arrived at the Europahaus where we would be living for the next four months.

I explored the grounds walking through the trees and trails next to the three dorms, accidently stumbling across two topless sunbathers in the process and when they turned to look at me I waved awkwardly before doing a swift about face back the way I had come running into Sarah (another member of the group and the only one from SNU) who asked me what was back the way I had come I simply responded "Naked People" and continued exploring.

The grounds are beautiful since our three dorms share space with a hotel we have an on location restaurant though I have not been yet as of the writing of this entry, kind of expensive from what I hear, the trees and trails make excellent walking (as of yet I have encountered no more sunbathers) when its not raining and sometimes when it is.

Eventually we got our keys and moved into our rooms, I have to say they are better than SNU's dorm rooms even though the beds feel like you are sleeping on concrete but hey we have our own fridge and bathroom...more than I can say for SNU :)

I explored around and found the communal kitchen where everyone gets together to cook food (which we have yet to do...prefer take out) and T.V. room, all in all I found it to be an amazing place and was happy that I had finally arrived.

1 comment:

  1. Moooooore updates, please!

    And if you lived in Hills, you would have gotten a fridge and a bathroom... suckerrrrr :)

    You should try to post a few pics here too! I'm so happy you're loving Austria--we all knew you would.

    I LOVE YOU :* jamie

    ReplyDelete